On Dec 19, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Jack Davis wrote:

It's his nebulous theme of claiming a somewhat "heroic" ability in
succeeding in getting the definitive shot.

He certainly was fearless in getting to places to take those shots. I think he was helped in his mountain climbing by being a physically small person. I'm not a mountain climber, but it seems logical that less weight would be an advantage. In spite of being relatively small, I never detected any hint of "Napoleon complex".

I skipped his OP articles for some period of time when, maybe, I should
have given his writing the benefit of an adjustment in my narrow
attitude.

Perhaps you should go back and read the books. Most good libraries ought to have them.

Bob