My MX had the flash problem after someone had borrowed it for 4 years. The MX has a switch on the hotshoe that connects it when a flash is attached. This stops the possibly high voltage from a flash connected to the PC socket being live and easy to touch - and hurt yourself.

I just bypassed the switch so the hotshoe was live all the time. It's easy to fix if you are good with small tools. If not then get someone else to do it. I know you got the timer working, so I won't mention that.

 Leon

http://www.bluering.org.au
http://www.bluering.org.au/leon

cbwaters wrote:
So after fitting new batteries in the MX I've found a couple things I'd like to ask other owners about. So anon to the internet!

The self timer lever is just limp like it's not connected inside. It works the DOF-P but no tick tick tick... Common failure?

My flash doesn't. I have an AF220 mounted and no amount of fiddling gets it to fire. FWIW, the shoe looks like it's never been used. The camera's so simple I can't imagine I've overlooked something. But then, I can be pretty obtuse. Or so says my wife.

Thanks,
CW