David Mann wrote:

On Dec 20, 2005, at 8:21 AM, Ronald Arvidsson wrote:

I've at times thought to use seismometers to measure the vibratins from different cameras - being a seismologist.

The measurements are in time domain - i.e. one measure during the time before at and after exposure. It would be necessary to use recording equipment that is utilizedin mines (for control of mine shocks) which have high enough time resolution. In this way one could possibly record tripping of shutter, mirror movements and stop, shutter opening and closing. There is still a problem of translatingthe actual ground motions to the motions at the camera. Still the frequency of ringing would be recorded and how fast this would be damped out. A possibly better setup would be to use a high speed camera, such as being used when recording bullets moving in the air.

That's an interesting idea but I'm not sure if it'd be very accurate. For an accurate measurement of the vibration that actually affects the image you'd have to only measure the vibration while the shutter is open.

These instruments can measure the exact frequencies of the vibrations and one could have a deterministic measured value and not just guesses which are based on how solid/loosely camrea is fixed to tripod or hand. Maybe I'll make a test within the next few weeks of this?

It'd also depend on the tripod itself. I've heard that wooden tripods are far superior because they actually damp the vibrations, where metal legs will just ring at their resonant frequency.

Sure, the whole setup, camera tripod has its own eigenfrequency combination and damping. If the eigenfrequency of camera is very different from tripod these to movements should counteract, if similar they will amplify the movements.

Cheers,

Ronald

- Dave