Being a minimalist, in that I don't like to carry a big bag about stuffed
with lots of gear, or because I sometimes want a fair amount of gear in a
small bag,  I always look for ways for some things to do double or triple
duty, here's what I do to save space.

It's possible, as David notes, to have a single lens hood that works well
on more than one lens, so depending on which camera you're using (film or
digital) and which lenses/hoods you're using, one hood may work well for as
many as three or four different lenses.

In addition, I've made some rear lens caps that are solidly cemented
together, allowing two lenses to fit in the space that one lens often
takes.  The caps work very well and hold the lenses securely.  Once you've
learned which combinations (tele + wide, with/without hood, for example)
fit in any given compartment of your bag, you can then carry more lenses.
I made the first one to handle two Leica lenses, and sent the prototype to
Bob Walkden who's been using it for quite some time with good results.  One
nice thing about these double rear caps is that you can make them to hold
lenses for different cameras.  A number of people may shoot with, for
example, a Leica and a Pentax, so attaching a cap for each works out very
nicely.

There are some lens hoods that are telescoping, and will compact rather
nicely, and which can be used on many different lenses.  These hoods are
not common, but I have seen them - I believe Bill Lawlor, who sometimes
drops in here, has one of these hoods.

Maybe this will give you some ideas to get creative with your own
equipment.  If anyone wants to know the best way to mate two rear lens
caps, drop me a line off list.  I tried a few different approaches before
settling on one that I now know works well and which is very strong and
reliable.

Shel