Ditto for me. Once the printer is recognized to have MK or PK ink in it, it remains recognized even if I turn it off and back on again.

As for whether to keep the printer off or on when not in use, that is a point of debate. Epson recommends that the printer be turned off (via the power switch on the printer --- not by pulling the plug) because that moves the print head over a cover that prevents the print head from drying out and clogging. I don't think it's necessary if you use your printer often. The Ultrachrome inks also don't evaporate as quickly as the dye-based inks used in the lower cost Epson printers.

--jc