The short answer referring to the 16-45 is yes.

There is no A 85 f1.9. There is however an A85 f1.4. It's huge man, especially on a *ist-D/Ds body. I use the M85 f2. It's got pretty much the same limitations that Cotty has using his Pentax A85 f1.4 on a Canon body, which is annoying since it is a K mount lens/body combination, but I've learned to live with it. The M lens is 1 whole stop slower than the A but it's size is more in keeping with the D/Ds/DL bodies.

John Graves wrote:

I am enjoying (learning) what can be done with my Ds. But even though I own the FA20-35, I find myself missing something. My next lens up is the FA28-90, although I have taken some nice pictures with my screw mount 85 f/1.9 as well. I am looking both for a Wide angle as well as Longer lens for portraits. So, For those that have them, does the DA16-45 yield a wider enough view to supplant my 20-35. Certainly, it has a slightly longer image at the top end. Will I get fair results with the lens long and wide open?? I keep looking for the A 85 f1.9 but I think it is the Pentax equivalent to the Holy Grail.

Regards

John G.

--
When you're worried or in doubt, Run in circles, (scream and shout).