Thanks for the useful info David.

They're being printed commercially (but not on a press) and when I asked the fellow at the printer he said, with some hesitation, that the images should be in CMYK. If an RGB workflow is standard as you suggest, however, the eventual conversion must not be too damaging to the appearance of the image, so (if my screen understood these things) I should be OK doing the adjustments in RGB.

Thanks for your help,
Adam

David Mann wrote:

What are you printing them with? I'd just use RGB unless it's going to a press, and even then the pre-press people would probably make a better job of converting and handling CMYK.

If you're using a desktop printer, use RGB all the way. The printer driver internally converts from RGB to whatever the printer needs for its collection of ink colours.

I'm not sure what happens to colour management when you convert to CMYK... all of the working colour spaces I have are RGB.

- Dave