On 12/29/05, Paul Stenquist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes, they do. In the summer, when I have real tomatoes from my garden,
> I toast a slice of good crusty bread, butter it, then top it with white
> Vermont cheddar and a big juicy tomato slice. A bit of salt and pepper
> and a few fresh basil leaves, and I'm in heaven. The tomatoes I bought
> for the photo look great, but taste just okay. They're nowhere near as
> flavorful or juicy as the real thing. Heck, I can eat one without a bib
> :-).

Well, I know this is getting OT, but I didn't like tomatoes for the
first 20 years of my life, because we lived in the city, had no
garden, and I'd only ever tasted those pink cardboard things that they
import from 8000 miles away into the supermarkets.  I hated those.

Then, I tasted a garden-fresh one from my then-wife's father's garden,
and I was in heaven!!  Now I'm spoiled - only homegrown garden-fresh
does it for me.

Your sandwich sounds great, Paul!  I think the acidity of the tomatoes
plays well with cheese - especially sharp or old cheese.

Mmmmmmmm....

-frank