On Dec 31, 2005, at 2:28 AM, Ryan Lee wrote:

Not sure what it might be like in other states, but I've been in Brisbane for 4 years, and in all that time, every reference to a tinnie referred to
tinnie as in this context:
http://www.biaq.com/content/standard.asp? name=BrisbaneTinnieandTackleShow

In these parts a tinnie can refer to a small quantity of an illicit drug (usually cannabis) wrapped in foil. A place that dispenses tinnies is called a tinnie house (that sounds quite funny to me). They're usually a dodgy old house in a dodgy neighbourhood. IIRC the money and product are exchanged through the mail slot in the door (mail slots are only found in older houses - actual mail is placed in the letterbox at the end of the driveway).

A can of beer is the more common meaning though... just make sure you're at the right party when you ask for one :)

- Dave