I only started working with AF equipped SLRs in 2001, all my prior SLRs were manual focus only as were most of my favorite rangefinder and viewfinder cameras as well.

AF-C only very occasionally handier for me.. I didn't really miss it much on the DS prior to firmware v2.00, same as I've always done on the Canon 10D and other digital or film cameras I've owned that had it. Most of the time now I leave the camera in AF-S mode anyway ... it's very easy to flip to MF when I want complete control of focusing.

I find the AF/MF switch handier than the OK button modes or AF-C, and it means I don't have to remember whether I have a lens that supports QuickShift focusing (only got one of those anyway).

About half the time, I have my cameras set to MF mode. I find MF faster than AF most of the time, the notable exception is when I'm shooting with the FA135/2.8 IF lens ... the AF seems to focus that faster and with more consistency than I can, probably due to the somewhat loose feeling and very short travel focusing ring.

Godfrey