In a message dated 7/26/01 6:25:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I would like to take some sporting photos, I have a 500mm lens
 but I think I would need something a little more powerful to
 get from one end of the playing field to the other. >>

I used to shoot Polo (a Polo field is 300' x 900') with a 500 mm.
You'll have to decide where you need to be then prefocus on that area.  The
problem with ultra-teles* is there is so little viewing area the "action" can
move faster (outside your viewfinder) than you can compose and shoot.
*Or get a 300mm too.