Appears the sentence for that single crime would now be three years.
Per the article, as you know, the weight of his criminal record had to
have had a bearing, but you're right, of course, it was a gross
miscarriage of justice.
I don't want to start another thread branch, but I HOPE the patchwork
of states rights laws now enjoys a much greater degree of moral
oversight.
The "best in the world" remark is/was an oft repeated formula statement
that I couldn't resist reviving. No one knows less about the worlds
various legal systems than I. That I'm sure of.

Jack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/uk/2001/life_of_crime/misca