On Jan 12, 2006, at 11:57 AM, Malcolm Smith wrote:

... As for Honda motorcycles, did you ever come across the CB400N Auto, which my
local independent motorcycle sales manager ran? ..

I think that was the CB400A in the USA. They didn't sell very well here, but we had a few of them go through the shop.

One of my buddies owned a small independent shop. We built specials and race motors there. On a lark in about 1977 or so, we picked up a Honda CB750A automatic engine unit, fitted an 812cc kit onto it with a good worked head, and installed that in a Rickman chassis. Had to tune it a little differently from a 5 speed machine to maximize powerband, but it was a kick to run around Bridgehampton and Pocono tracks. Went well as long as it held together ... Unfortunately, the torque converter cooked the oil, despite synthetics and four huge oil coolers, and the shared gearbox/engine oil combination cooked the pistons fast, so it never lasted a complete race.

Godfrey