Why don't you expect it to be sharp wide open? The C/Y mount version was known for it's sharpness, even wide open.

-Adam

P. J. Alling wrote:

Lets assume that we're discussing the SMC Takumar 50 f1.4. It's very available, very reliable, easly repairable, and not particularly expensive,. I would guess that for the cost of one of the new Zeiss f1.4 50mm M42 lenses you could probably buy 5 or 6 of them. The only reason anyone would want the Zeiss, given the alternative, would be if it were exceptionaly sharp wide open, something I don't expect to be true.