Sat, 21 Jan 2006 21:07:53 -0800
Boris Liberman wrote:

> > Hi!
> >
> > I wonder, why would someone do this type of
> > modification to a FA-100/2.8 ?
> > I guess the plate is in place of the focusing limiter.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Igor
> >

> > Oops... I forgot to send the URL. Sorry..
> >
> > http://www362.pair.com/nnwd/Pentax%20100%20Macro%20Lens%20%233%205.JPG
>
> Igor, some times ago and probably few times as well Jostein mentioned
> a batch of FA 100/2.8 lenses that were used by some agency to do some
> very particular macro work. His own specimen is from that batch...
> May be, just may be, what you shown us also belong to this odd set
> of FA 100/2.8 lenses...
>
> Boris

I had a similar thought, as I've seen (virtually) lenses looking like this
more than once.  (BTW, this is not my lens).

These are, however, different from the batch that had marks in the
barrels due to the screws of the optical mount where those
lenses were used.

Regarding other comments:
Even though that plate looks like a QR plate,
comparing that image to an image of a normal FA 100/2.8 lens
(e.g.
http://www.cameraunion.net/papers/xitek/xitek-macro/pentax/image/fa100m.jpg ),
I see that it is in place of the focus limiter.

Igor