On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Bob Shell wrote:

Anyone who considers taking him seriously should read some independent accounts of his history. He used to hang out with Jack Parsons, who founded JPL in Pasadena, and blew himself up playing with rocket fuel in his garage. The Parsons bio Sex And Rockets has some good stuff about Hubbard in it.

Many years ago as a physics undergrad I read Russell Miller's Hubbard bio "Bare-Faced Messiah", mostly for the hilarious 'science' in Scientology. The book tells you all you need to know about Hubbard. I've since found that the entire book is free to download/read online here:

http://www.clambake.org/archive/books/bfm/bfmconte.htm

not sure how legal this is - I assume the author has given his permission to the site.

Chris