> I'd take a little survey to see who of us on the PDML would even remotely
> consider investing in a Pentax 645 DSLR even if it came in only US$1000 more
> expensive than a Canon 5D.

for $4K, i would in a heartbeat.

> It still wouldn't interest me.
>
> However Pentax could probably sell me a K-mount DSLR at the same price as a
> Canon 5D though (assuming it contained better than the standard 6MP Sony
> sensor).

of course, assuming it has similar qualities (sensor mostly), but not
someone who already has 5D.

otoh, 645D would be an obvious choice for those not ready to fork out
$20-30K for a digital back,
and want better quality that small format can provide. i am sure,
there are a few of those.

also, to buy into C., you have to add the cost of the L glass, which
would add (quite) a few grands...
unlike p645, whose older lenses are dirt cheap right now.

it's fun to speculate... but my crystal ball seems to be running out
of batteries

best,
mishka