----- Original Message ----- From: "Alistair Lax"
Subject: LX focussing

I'm delurking for a while, partly to ask the brother- and sister-hood for
their expert advice. I've had an LX for almost 2 years. It doesn't have a
sticky mirror, but it now appears to have a focussing problem. It has the
standard SC-21 screen. When the split screen is in focus, neither the top
nor bottom of the screen is focussed. The top "focuses" closer and the
bottom of the screen farther away. The focus suggested by the split screen
appears to be correct and the full frame is sharp on film, but I'm losing
confidence in the camera's ability to focus correctly. It has probably had
this problem all along, and I've only noticed it recently, having just
picked up a M50mm/f1.4. A possibly related problem is that very occasionally
the split screen "focuses" too close - the opposite of a sticky mirror
problem - this problem can be sorted by moving the mirror up and down a
couple of times.

The bumper that the miror rests on is misaligned, and possibly in need of a replacement rubber pad.

William Robb