On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 05:43:07 -0000, David Oswald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Powell Hargrave wrote:
DA 18-55 Kit lens travels with me on the DS. It is compact, light and does
many jobs quite well.  Mine is certainly sharp enough and the slight
distortion and CA can easily be fixed with PTLens if needed.

It depends on the day. On tourist type days, I'll take the 16-45 f/4 with me. But on "photography" days, I'll mount my new 28mm f/2.8 and just leave it on all day. ...or my 50, or my 135... I like to select one lens and go with it all day. You won't get tourist type shots if the only lens you're carrying is a 135, but you'll definitely get some interesting shots. The same goes for just about any single-focal-length lens; pick one and go with it, and see what you can do with it.

I'm not sure if I'm making sense. To me a "tourist" day is a day where I want to photograph all sorts of different things to record a memory of an event, trip, etc. And a photography day is a day when I set out with the camera either with the primary objective of taking pictures, or with some other primary purpose, but knowing I'll have some free time here and there to stop and smell the roses. So on touristy days, I want a lens that will do it all. But on photography days, I want to enjoy the purity of a nice prime.

Dave

Well put. I tend to use the 24-90 (on the *ist D) when I'm being a tourist (wishing it were slightly wider), and a prime or two when photography is the main object of the excursion. Favourites? Probably 31mm, 77mm, F* 300mm. I do agree with Godfrey about the bulk of the 31mm, but it's much better in every other way than my F 28mm, and I don't own an FA 35mm.

John