I have a D and a DS, (broke my own rule about backups having identical interfaces, it can be quite annoying). I haven't seen a DS2 but I've seen and handled a DL, the DL is clearly a DS with fewer features, (even it's LCD is probably plug compatible with the electronics in the DS), the D obviously has a different frame and body shell, and many differences, though probably minor as the photo assistant software can control it and the DS, in electronics.
E.R.N. Reed wrote:

P. J. Alling wrote:

All the D variants seem to be more different from the D than from each other, so far...

Doesn't that mean they're DS variants, not D variants? I wondered that before, but since I'm familiar only with the D, not the others, I am only going on having read that the others all use the same storage media and have the same number of control dials -- both features being different from the D.

ERN

--
When you're worried or in doubt, Run in circles, (scream and shout).