John,
        In Australia there is basically no restriction at all on who or what
you can take photos of if you are on public property. If you are on private
property (which includes shopping centres and council owned land) then the
property owner has the right to set the rules. A lot of the time the
restrictions are a mixture of bluff and ignorance. Remember, we have no bill
of rights so we have no inalienable rights, and specifically no right of
privacy. Putting it another way, our rights as photographers stem from other
people's lack of rights to prevent us taking photos.

This link ( http://www.4020.net/unposed/photorights.shtml ) explains it in
more detail and includes copyright too. From reading it, there is no bar to
street photography and no model release is required for non-commercial work,
including selling prints regardless of how much you are charging. Using
someone's image for advertising and the like is different and does require a
release.

A couple of weeks ago one of the members of the Geelong Camera Club was
hassled by the local Police for taking photos of a local chemical refinery
at sunset. He stood his ground and the next night the Police Minister was on
TV explaining that in fact he was perfectly legal to take photos in public,
regardless of the subject. The TV footage then cut to a bunch of camera club
members all lined up at the refinery taking photos! One of them had a Pentax
6x7.

Having said all of that, there's no point being in the right if it gets you
a broken nose from an irate parent.

Regards,

Paul Ewins
Melbourne, Australia