On Feb 1, 2006, at 5:22 AM, Rob Studdert wrote:

On 1 Feb 2006 at 6:58, Cory Papenfuss wrote:

        If you're going to be shooting anything where you may be trying to
edit the color balance, you should really consider shooting RAW. There is no such thing as setting white balance at the time of the shot if you're
shooting raw... it's all done later without loss of information.

Not quite. The better RAW converters will respect the in camera WB setting if desired also the embedded JPG file is created based on the camera RAW setting. I always try to set the WB when shooting RAW then I also have a reference as
the the prevailing lighting.

Since I always save in RAW format, I normally leave the camera on AWB and let the JPEG previews go whereever they might. All my PEF files are converted to DNG and then sorted in Bridge (or Lightroom), so the JPEG thumb and preview is updated to whatever settings I make in ACR and reflect how I've interpreted the RAW files if I've done any adjustment.

On rare occasion ... as when shooting under flourescent light, in very red tungsten illumination, or looking to apply a color tone ... I tweak the color balance setting to get a better idea of what the work in RAW might produce later.

Godfrey