----- Original Message ----- From: "Gonz"
Subject: Re: PESO - Soft

If you want to emulate the old portraiture style, then short depth of field combined with spherical abberation is what is required, along with lighting that has a fairly rapid fall off.

What do you mean by the last bit, like vignetting?

The old school lighting rigs used metal pan reflectors. This was before the days of umbrellas. The metal pans generally gave a hot spot in the middle with fairly fapid fall off towards the edge of the light beam. I still use a set of pans for portraiture, I really like the light they give. I don't have any work around right now but I want to shoot my houseguest this weekend as she is going back to Britain soon, perhaps I'll do some work with the pans and post the results.

William Robb