Well just in case someone else is intereted I have answered both my question
all by myself. As mentioned in an earlier post the flash problem was just a
question of bending a contact after having removed the top cover.
As for the second question, I came by another MG on eBay which is a REAL
parts camera, basically nothing works, including the shutter which had
several blades out of place. On disassembling it I found the little spacers
are on the 2 posts on the left side that the screws that hold the shutter
box together screw into.
Will now try reassembling the MG... If it works after all this it will
replace my MX as my favourite camera, but the MX does not look too worried
yet, I wonder why.
Grant