Jens Bladt wrote:
Hmmm..
Pentax had a consumer base for the *ist D. People like us who already have
many Pentax SLR lenses.

Exactly. As I said it was released to compete with the D100 and 10D so they wouldn't lose the advanced amateurs to other brands.

The D upgrade will not have too many buyers. This is a plausible reason for
the "consumer" DSLR's that followed.

WHAT!!!!???? There are many people who bought the D or even DS, DL, DS2, DL2 that would love to have an upgrade like the D200 or 20D. The fact that Pentax is recycling the same sensor in all these cameras is reason enough to want something new. The DS/2, DL/2 were released to get new customers. That's the only reason that makes sense to me.

The next digital "upgrade" is more likely a 645D - appealing to many 645
users.

Good for them. I'm not going to switch to MF. I think some one with loads of 35mm glass isn't going to sell it and buy into 645. No, they'd be more likely to sell it and go with Canon or Nikon and keep the 35mm-styled bodies.

There are not too many 645's for sale at the moment - not compared to
Mamiya- I guess some 645 users are waiting for the 645D ??

Again, good for them.  What about 35mm users?

Would you expect Pentax to release a 645D AND a
*ist D2 simultaneously?

Of course I would! Not everyone has both 645 and 35mm gear. If Pentax were smart, they'd throw us lowly small format schmucks a bone and give us a APS-sized upgrade to the D like the 20D or D200.

I doubt it.

Think about it. Canon (only being used as an example) has 3 tiers of users/cameras: 1. Top level 1Ds/1DII. Think of this as equivalent to Pentax 645 users, granted the less-than-full-frame 1DII doesn't fit, but work with me. 2. 20D soon to be 30D (and sure add the 5D too; although it is pricey and the full frame doesn't fit too well in the example). Think of this as Pentax's D successor, if it ever exists. 3. Digital Rebels. Here we have the Pentax DS, DL, DS2 and DL2.

So, Pentax can compete on level 1 with the 645D, but as is (and according to your assumption that Pentax WILL NOT release a "D2" at the same time as the 645D) has nothing to compete on level 2. This is the level I'm most interested in, and I bet there are a lot of people that fit this level and want a 20D competitor. As for level 3, I doesn't interest me but obviously Pentax has products in this category.

--

Christian
http://photography.skofteland.net