Scott, I've gone through a total of 5 of the 28-70s now.
1 seperated in my camera bag.
3 were seperated when I got them.
Those 4 were manufactured in Japan.
1 which was manufactured in Vietnam is in perfect condition
optically and mechanically, it takes truly horrible pics
unless stopped down 3-4 stops! ;-(
I've sworn off that lens completely.

IMO the lowly F35-70/3.5-4.5, which is dirt cheap, is a
far better value. Godfrey and, I believe, Jens have had
good experiences with the 35-70 also. I have 3 of these,
sample variation seems non-existent.

If your heart is set on the 28-70 Shel had a friend that
had one for sale. You may want to check with him.

Don