Powell Hargrave wrote:

> I have shot hundreds of paintings using two flashes at 45 degrees with
> daylight slide film.  Oils, acrylics, and glazed prints and water colours.
> It works very well thank you.
> Working hand held is much faster than using a tripod. The flash exposure is
> less than 1/1000 sec. and the images are very sharp.
>
> Powell

I'm sure it works very well Powell but I don't own any
equipment like that.

Trust me when I say I can't shoot handheld any longer for
anything this precise -
flash or no flash. It hurts to hold the camera up to my eye
for very long,
so keeping things level is a problem.  And focusing is a
problem too...
I have a huge problem with glare - just being in the
vicinity of someone
firing off a flash is hard to deal with...

When I had to shoot shiny packages of something some years
ago I used two
halogen lights at thos angles and a polarizer on the camera.
It gave me new respect for people who do that stuff for a
living - the purely
technical aspect of shooting. It was hard work and an
interesting tactical
exercise.

As to the original question about chromes - the lab I plan
to use felt
Provia was the best choice.

as long as the guy is happy with what I've done, nothing
else really matters.
(well, except for getting paid of course!)

ann