I'm far behind on reading mails. The main reason is that some unpleasant is
going on in my professional life. It drains a lot of energy. (I don't really
want to talk about this; I just think the list should know why I am a bit
more on and off, and perhaps a bit grumpier than what I regularly am.)

Ok, to the picture. The light is kind of harsh. But I do like the way he is
posing.

No. Not to the picture. This is just an excuse to ask for help. Rant
warning.

I know you are a dog person William, so I thought I'd ask you for some
advice on photographing my dog. He is adopted. When I got him (he was six to
eight years old) he went under cower the same moment I picked up the camera.
After some thinking I realised he was afraid of the flash. That’s a kind of
natural reaction, when a person is flashing at you, and you have no idea
why. When I realised this, I started to fiddle with the camera without
photographing. After a while he got used to it. But when I pointed it at him
he went away. After some (read a lot) work he allows me to photograph him
without flash. But no posing, none at all. Just "random" shots. The problem
is that he is black, very black. He absorbs a lot of light, almost like a
black hole. So it is hard to get the exposure and the composition right at
the same time.

Frustrating. He is a nice looking dog! Indirect flash would probably do the
trick. I sure could shoot a frame or two with flash, but that would scare
him of again. And that would definitely set us back to where we started,
with him running of instantly.

Ok. Here my rant is over. Do you, or other fellow PDMLers, have any advice
here? Is there any method I can make him used to flash photographing.

Tim
Mostly harmless (just plain Norwegian)

Never underestimate the power of stupidity in large crowds
(Very freely after Arthur C. Clarke, or some other clever guy)