I see your point. :-(
It doesn't appear that the 3229 could be modified either.
However it looks as though you could replace the tilt head
with a small QR ballhead, then you could have the correct
orientation.
The only purpose of the tilt is to let the lens down to
rest in the cradle, since precision isn't required and you
only have to adjust once when mounting a lens one of the
cheap Chinese 484RC2 or 486RC2 type knockoffs should work
fine.

Don