this tuesday i was in a traffic court of a small westchester county
town, and the first thing the clerk announced was "the new rules in effect after
9/11" (basically, if an the cop who wrote the ticket is not there, the
ticket is *not*
automatically dismissed anymore -- the cops have more important things than to
come to court. like, catch (speeding) terrorists on I95).

we sure live in a different country now. i am wondering what else 9/11
is good for.
emission inspections?  insurance premiums?

and, on a different note, i also agree very much with the author that
the parallels with
what used to go on on the other side of the curtain a couple of
decades ago, become
quite striking.

best,
mishka