Shel: Leica rangefinder lenses need to be much closer to the film
plane than SLR lenses to focus to infinity. This is why you cannot use
them on an SLR except for macro purposes.

There's no difference in that regard between a film and a digital SLR,
if the mount is the same. So the istD has no advantage over any other
K mount camera--the distance between the mount and the film plane is
the same.

--
Juan Buhler
Water Molotov: http://photoblog.jbuhler.com