On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 01:16:44PM +0100, P?l Jensen wrote:

> [...]

It rather depends on how you define & measure "comparable", though.

If the measurement consists of taking two lenses with a comparable
angle of view, one on a 35mm body, and one on a 645 body, and making
the same sized print using each system, then I think most people
here would expect the larger negative to produce the sharper print.
If, though, we're taking two lenses of identical focal length, and
cropping to just use the central 36x24 portion of the 645 negative,
then most would expect the result of using the 645 lens would be
not quite as good - the increase in image circle comes at some cost.