On Feb 13, 2006, at 10:31 AM, Tim Sherburne wrote:

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/umdiaumafoto/24763474/in/photostream/>

On Feb 13, 2006, at 10:05 AM, frank theriault wrote:

On 2/13/06, E.R.N. Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Y'know, this "poor" thread has been nothing but a minefield almost still it started. Meanwhile, I am still a bit amazed that anyone could make out so clearly what the camera in the picture is. I thought there wasn't enough detail there to tell. Guess to those who know that model well, there really is. Is there a particular clue in the picture, that wouldn't mean anything unless one knew rangefinders extremely well?

It's definitely a Minolta CLE.  The body style is almost exactly the
same as a Leica CL (one of which I own), except it's a teeny bit
bigger. The size difference is not discernable in the photo, but one
can clearly see that HCB's cam has the shutter speed dial on the top
of the body. The Leica model has the shutter speed dial on the front.
 So, it's definitely a Minolta CLE.

Thank Tim (and Dario).

ERN:
For those familiar with the Leica CL and Minolta CLE, the camera is instantly recognizable in that photograph. The size, shape, layout of the shutter speed dial, markings on the body, and shape of the lens clearly identifies it as a Leitz/Minolta CLE fitted with Rokkor 40mm f/2 lens.

I like the photo too. Henri has this wonderful look on his face, the opportunistic look of someone waiting for the right thing to present itself to his eye. ;-)

Godfrey