Mark Roberts wrote:

dick graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The ist ds2 ranked dead last in resolution behind 2 8megs ( canon d350 and
olympus 500) and 2 other 6 megs ( nikon d-50 and konica/minolta 5d?)

I'll bet those resolution tests were done shooting in JPEG mode. Why on
earth would someone for whom resolution was critical be shooting in JPEG
mode???

Mark, I believe it can make sense. Don't forget that most DLSR's don't go in pro, or semi-pro, or would-be pro hands. The very most of them will end up in amateur hands of any level and skill, where a better in-camera JPEG conversion (or a better lens, or a faster AF, or a wider exposure latitude, or a better tuned meter, or a better whatever) still makes a lot of sense. I know folks who bought the Ds and even don't own a computer, nor they want to buy one "just for getting the damn prints". Yes, those folks will hardly print formats larger than A4, but knowing that they can go well beyond that size won't hurt them and won't prevent them from buying a camera with a better reputation. At the end of the day, if it's better, it's better (even if you don't truly need it).

Dario