Want someone to pat me on the head and say that it's not my fault..

A couple of years ago I purchased an FA 135/2.8 which had been sitting in
the display for some time. Although I treat all my lenses with respect and
don't subject any of my gear to any beating the coating on the barrel of
this lens (seems like a thin black plastic film) is chipping off in more
and more places. Is this typical of FA 135 or have I done something to it
to cause the problem? The lens has not seen extreme heat or cold.

Krisjanis