Hi Rob,

The stacking of images has been done for a long time in laboratories using electron and light microscopes. We did this in the late 70s on an HP2000 system in my Institute. I was able to entice a virologist from Holland (despite Apartheid) to visit for a few months. His work was mainly optical transforms. We then developed a suite of image processing programs using Tony Crowther's (MRC Cambridge) ideas as a start. But it took 8 hours or more to do a FFT, mask and reverse FFT on a 512 x 512 matrix. I can do it in a minute or two. And that time is taken making the mask. The actual processing is over before one's finger leaves the Enter Key.

But a straight answer is that it was not possible to make images like the one you are talking about outside very big facilities like mine. Instead, people used dozens of images at different levels and different orientations of the specimen to show structure.

The colour fringes are not a problem unless one is concerned with aesthetics. I think it would be less work to fix the final image rather than the individual frames. I'll look into this. What do you use for the job? The collector, the condenser, the objective and the eyepiece all contribute to the problem and a combination of optics to eliminate them entirely would cost about £20 000 at a rough guess. As it is the objective I used for this lists at about £1200.

Don