Most of the most highly regarded scientists, politicians, and heros of all sorts prior to the 20th century and many in the 20th century believed in God.

These include Isaac Newton, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln... I'm sure we could keep going.

Many consider themselves too enlightened for that now. I wonder what changed?

Tom C.

From: "E.R.N. Reed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Religon, Christ vs. the Other Guy
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:12:39 -0600

John Forbes wrote:

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:09:00 -0000, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

fra: Kevin Waterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This one time, at band camp, "Tom C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That is actually irrelevant to the issue of whether God exists or not.

This is a simple one.
If you believe God exists, then yes, there is a God.
If you do not believe God exists, then there is no God.

But what then if you don't believe in a god, but also accepts that you may be wrong. And you end up ingoring the matter because it doesn't affect you life any way?

DagT the agnostic .-)

None of us can know for certain whether there is a god or not. If we are rational, we must conclude that there is very little hard evidence to support the view that a god exists, or existed, and therefore we are likely to conclude, on a balance of probabilities, that there isn't a god, and never was.

However, that still leaves us with no answer to the question of how the universe began. Those who believe in a god can sidestep that question, which is very convenient for them.

No.
Those who believe in a God can *answer* the question, not sidestep it.
Throughout human history, more rational people have believed in God, or gods, than haven't. In all cultures. I am not suggesting that the minority of humans in modern times who conclude (for whatever) that there is no god are all irrational. I object to your implying that those of us who conclude (for whatever reason) that God (or gods) exist are not rational. That suggestion is both arrogant and ridiculous.