The DS2 has been in stock at numerous dealers in the US and in Canada,
which last I heard was North America. So where have all these places (B&H,
Adorama, Beach, Buydig, Don's, McBain's, and at least a half-dozen other
places) been getting these cameras that aren't supposed to be here?

They're either importing them through a distributor or special ordering them from Pentax Japan. I asked my store's Pentax rep about the DS2 in December, and he said those are the only two ways we could get it if we wanted to stock it. Keep in mind that many retailers get their stock from anywhere they can (this is part of why "gray market" items are so common through web retailers), not just straight from the manufacturer.

For instance, my store doesn't get our Epson printers and accessories from Epson; we get them from a distributor who can get us a better price. If a store can find a distributor who carries the DS2 and will ship it to the US, then the store might decide to carry it.

All I was trying to do was suggest you shouldn't freak out on Pentax because a camera you want is hard to get. And anyway, you didn't seem all that impressed with the DS you owned for a time. What makes you think the DS2 is going to be any better?

John Celio

--

http://www.neovenator.com

AIM: Neopifex

"Hey, I'm an artist. I can do whatever I want and pretend I'm making a statement."