On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 04:41:45PM -0800, Mark Erickson wrote:

> By the way, I think that "fair use" is a concept specific to United States
> copyright law and legal precedent.  What are the rules in Europe?

No - the "fair use" provision is spelled out in the international Berne
Copyright agreement.   Most of the nations of the western world are
signatories to this agreement, which gives it the same standing as
national law.

The US has recently taken to passing additional copyright legislation
aimed at extending the copyright period beyond that specified in the
international law, and suchlike.  So, in fact, some things which fall
under "fair use" in Europe are now prohibited in the USA.