As a follow up to my comments.  Here are two examples from the *istD
with the Sigma APO 170-500.

Warning! Warning! Warning!
These are full 6.1MP images straight out of the camera.
Shot jpeg iso 800.  EXIF intact.
They are each over 2Mb.
They are not retouched at all. No sharpening, so they will appear "soft."

I am only posting so that you can get an idea what the lens can do.

http://homer.chem.sc.edu/perry/imgp1767.jpg
http://homer.chem.sc.edu/perry/imgp1775.jpg

Perry.