Patrick.
You are not mentioning the speed of the lenses below. The speed is crucial.
Anything slower than F. 2.8 is not suitable for action photography IMO.

Sports  photographer Jerry Lodriguss recommendations regarding equipment
focuses on lenses faster than or equal to F. 2.8, and I tend to agree with
him:

"Most professional sports photographers have the following set of equipment:

3 top-of-the-line digital camera bodies, such as the Canon 1D or Nikon D2H
($3,000 each)
6 Extra batteries ($100 each)
Extreme wide angle 14mm f/2.8 ($1,400)
Wide angle zoom lens 17 - 35mm f/2.8 ($1,400)
Fast short telephoto 85mm f/1.4 ($900)
Telephoto zoom 70-200 f/2.8 ($1,500)
Fast Telephoto 300mm f/2.8 ($4,400)
Fast Long Telephoto 400mm f/2.8 ($7,700)
Teleconverter 1.4x ($450)
Teleconverter 2x ($450)
2 Monopods ($150 each)
Tripod ($450)
2 Flashes ($400 each)
Radio Remotes ($300)
Light stands, umbrellas, misc lighting equipment ($500)
Laptop with extra ram ($2,500)
Photoshop ($600)
Other software ($500)
Rolling camera case ($300)
Rain gear ($500)

Total: $34,000"

Of course you may get along fine with less than this huge amount of gear.
As far as speed goes, the only alternatives to fast lenses is high ISO
values (more digital noise or grain) or using a flash, which is not very
attractive (slow focusing and annoying for the athletes).

Regards
Jens Bladt
http://www.jensbladt.dk