On Feb 23, 2006, at 11:59 AM, Adam Maas wrote:

I'm looking to add a serious MF kit to my mix as well, probably Bronica SQ stuff (Pentax unfortunatly doesn't offer 6x6 kit)
Of course you can crop the Pentax 6x7 to 6x6 when you wish and still have the option of a rectangular format when that is more appropriate.

Rectangular isn't an option with my current gear, as my enlarger maxes out at 6x6.

If you always print to a rectangular format, 6x4.5 will give you the same effective film area as 6x6 with a savings on film and processing cost.

Unlike you, I much prefer processing digital capture to print, regardless of whether I'm doing color or B&W work. Digital capture has saved me substantially on film and processing costs, but more importantly on time. Processing 200 exposures captured in RAW format to a "usable for evaluation" state image, viewable as a positive, is almost entirely automated and takes about 20-30 minutes on average once you have established an efficient workflow.

My dream of 25 years ago was to get out of the darkroom and into the light where I could create the photographs I wanted more easily. A large part of why I worked in the computer industry for 20 years was in the idea of making this reality come into being...

Godfrey