Exactly. And straightforward, easy-to-use cameras are capable of anything most photographers might attempt. The lone exception might be top-level sports journalism. But even for motorsports or the occasional sporting event, the new Pentax should prove excellent. Hell, the current D gets the job done. If Jens or anyone else plans on being one of those guys standing behind the end zone (or the goal) with their lookalike Canon outfits, then they should switch. For the rest of us, the new camera will be just fine. I can't believe anyone here was realistically expecting an $8000, 8fps monster camera. If they were, I'd like to have some of what they've been drinking.
Paul
On Feb 24, 2006, at 12:02 AM, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

I'm pretty much on the same page as Juan. Not everyone needs all the high
specs so many on this list so frequently cry out for.  I don't want to
carry the weight around, I don't want big, honking zoom lenses, I don't
want high-speed motor drives ... a nice simple camera that makes good
pictures is just perfect.  Small lenses with good resolution and a nice
fingerprint are more important than slow, zoom lenses that cover 300mm of
focal range.  Straightforward, easy-to-use cameras are what I like.

Shel

[Original Message]
From: Juan Buhler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Date: 2/23/2006 7:01:44 PM
Subject: Re: *IST-D / DS & High speed action!

On 2/23/06, Jens Bladt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Pentax don't want to be at the stadium. If they did, they'd make a 5-8
FPS
body and a lot of 1.4-2.8 (digital) lenses. They obviously don't want
to.

This is a great thing! There are plenty of options already from Canon
and Nikon. People should use one of those if that's what they need.
Why would it be a good thing to have yet another brand making cameras
like that?  I like my small, no frills Pentaxes that stay out of the
way while I  try to create art with them.

[...]
Only people who bring a camera while they are really doing OTHER things
care
about size and weight.

Speak for yourself. If you are walking around in a city for six hours
in a row shooting people in the street, camera strapped to your wrist,
size and weight become a big issue. When I do that I'm not doing
anything else, btw.

Give me a small istD with an FA35 over a 20S with whatever lens is
equivalent anytime.

(who couldn't care less about sports photography)

--
Juan Buhler
Water Molotov: http://photoblog.jbuhler.com