On 24 Feb 2006 at 13:41, John Francis wrote:

> That's a gross mis-representation of the true situation.  While it
> was generally agreed that the actual cost of the pieces of hardware
> were not a large expense, the additional costs were not so trivial.
> These included extra electro-mechanical parts (more things to go wrong).

An optical graycode wheel and miniature sensor array on the aperture feedback
system would be both inexpensive and very reliable. I think the costs and other
issues relating to the aperture feedback control have been blown out of all
proportion. They could have done it at minimal cost if they wanted to, they
simply chose not to, and only user backlash forced them to implement the green
button kludge. It seems like they aren't about to make the same error on the
D645 and cost has nothing to do with it IMHO.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998