On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 04:08:21PM -0700, Joseph Tainter wrote:
> "All the current Pentax cameras use the same sensor, which
> produces an array of 12-bit values.  But the file storage on a
> memory card uses a byte-organised architecture.  This means that
> the 12-bit values from the sensor have to be stored in 8-bit
> bytes on the card.
>
> "The *ist-D took the simple approach of padding each 12-bit
> value with 4 extra zero bits, and storing the resulting 16-bit
> value in two 8-bit bytes."
>
> Was this done in silicon? Is that why there was no firmware
> upgrade to make the D files the size of the DS files?

I don't know, but I doubt it - I'd expect all that data
shuffling to be done purely in software/firmware.

The problem with a firmware upgrade would be that all the
software that worked with RAW files from the D (including
Pentax Photo Browser & Pentax Photo Laboratory) would need
to be upgraded to work with the new files.  That could be
a product support nightmare, explaining to users just why
they could no longer use the RAW files from their camera.
Sure, Pentax could ship new versions of _their_ software
with the firmware upgrade.  But I'm sure enough people
would neglect to read the instructions, or forget they
had the software installed on more than one system, or
blame Pentax for problems with third-party software, etc.
that it just wasn't worth the trouble.