Hi graywolf,

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 11:37:29 -0500, graywolf wrote:

>I think a point is being missed here. Any digital file can be edited!

Of course it can, I did not say otherwise ...

I am a system programmer (like you I think), and actually
reverse engineering data-formats and data-recovery
is my main business :-)

What I meant to say is that there are no commercial (or open source)
products that do it, mainly because it does to make much sense ...

>Just because there is not a readily available cheap commercial product
>for that particular file does not mean the file can not be edited by an
>expert. In the old days when software was sold on floppy disks, and the
>companies kept coming up with protection schemes to keep you from
>copying the disk we (generic we --while I wrote such a program myself in
>Z-80 machine code, I did not make it publicly available) developed a
>program that would copy the disck bit by bit including the copy
>protection part, or would allow you to edit particular bits on the disk
>to eliminate the copy protection.
>
>So if someone wanted to produce a camera-raw file that had bogus
>information in it, it would not be a difficult problem. And once done
>there would be no way in the world for anyone to prove it was not an
>original file except by a confession by the person who had edited it.
>
>To so many people software is some kind of magic. It is not. Almost
>anyone can learn to write it and edit it if they are willing to make the
>effort and take the time.

Certainly, allthough reverse-engineering RAW camera formats
without any documentation is quite a challenge since some
non-linear transformations are involved ...

Regards, JvW

Jan van Wijk;   http://www.dfsee.com/gallery