I took about 70 shots of a Bald Eagle sitting in an old tree this AM. He was turned in all directions, screeching, looking at all angles, the wind ruffling his white feathers around his head like a lion's mane at times. In several of the frames there was a squirrel climbing the tree and he was within 6" of the eagle when the squirrel reacted to his presence and went the other way. The eagle was looking right at him.

I had my tripod and the 500mm mirror lens. There was a light rain coming down. Even though the shots were in focus, the light rain muddied the images enough that they're not worth displaying. I've looked at 25 of the shots so far and the resolution is just not good enough. I'll look at the rest later, but hold little hope for them.

Tom C.

From: "John Coyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Subject: The great shot you miss...
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:32:12 +1000

came up this morning on my early walk. The light was poor, so I didn't take a camera. Halfway along the floating riverwalk that is my normal route, something very odd-looking started to move from underneath it towards the river bank. As I got closer, I could see it was a cormorant: body submerged, neck stretched up out of the water, holding a fish in it's beak that would have been three times the size of it's head!

Always, always carry a camera!

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia