On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:26:09 -0000, Bob Shell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Feb 28, 2006, at 6:54 PM, Rob Studdert wrote:

You are not feeling especially smart, either.
I recall that Pentax was pretty blunt about the FF camera not being
marketable due to sensor issues.

So you are telling me that they didn't know this or it wasn't an issue when it
was shown to the market?

Actually, they didn't. I saw the prototype at photokina and talked to some of the Pentax people about it. They were very enthusiastic. But at that time they did not know that Philips, the maker of the full frame chip, would miss delivery deadlines by over a year and jack the price up several times prior to delivery. Kyocera went ahead with the N Digital using that chip, and you see where it got them! Pentax people I talked to at various times during the project were very up front with me about what was going on, and when Philips raised the price one last time they told me they were killing the project because the new chip price would push the price of the camera out of the range they considered practical. The Contax N Digital was nearly two years late to dealers, sold poorly and performed even more poorly due to chip and firmware problems, both of which Kyocera blamed on Philips. I believe it was the disaster with this chip that caused Philips to decide to withdraw from that market and sell off their chip fabrication assets, which are now an independent company called Dalsa.

If I were in your shoes, Rob, I'd direct my anger where it belongs, at Philips. They promised Pentax something they were unable to provide at the quoted original price and in the quoted time frame. Pentax lost a lot of money on that project. If Philips had come through with what they originally promised it would have been a killer camera. But if they hadn't dropped the project it might just have killed Pentax, as it did Contax.

Quite so. That fiasco put Pentax back by about five years. By next year they should have a good digital line-up, but it's cost them dear. I also suspect that Pentax management hs been starving the Imaging Division of funding in the meantime. Corporate minds work in funny ways, and I have seen companies where a division has been "punished" for some real or imagined fault. Of course, all it does is hurt the company overall.

John