Thanks Paul. This is the kind of info I need. I'd expected it to be heavy.
If I'm able to balance it, the weight is not going to be a problem in what I
intend to use it for. It will involve a lot more waiting than walking ;-)

I plan to sit inside a tent, and let them come to me, instead of the
sneaking in approach. Perhaps I'll even use some bait.
Another method I've considered is to sit in a canoe and let the tide take me
to them. There lens speed might become a problem, with nothing steady to
place the tripod at.

Tim
Mostly harmless (just plain Norwegian)

Never underestimate the power of stupidity in large crowds
(Very freely after Arthur C. Clarke, or some other clever guy)