On Mar 3, 2006, at 11:22 AM, dick graham wrote:

Just getting familiar with the my new ds and 16-45 ed DA zoom. Because I have a innate lazy side, I am wondering what in-camera settings( saturation, sharpness, contrast) ds owners have found to be the most satisfactory. Do you stick with the default settings and do any adjustments post shooting? I realize I should shoot some comparison exposures to compare, but this will give me some feed back that will be very helpful.

DG

I posted this a while ago. Some of the specific names of settings might have changed a little with Firmware v2.0, but it's mostly still what I use.
---------
Pentax *istDS usage notes (godfrey)

frank wrote:
> Anyway, could you guys (Ds owners) give some suggestions on what I
> should do with the Ds (like firmware, settings and etc)? I've got
> all the batteries and SD cards. Just need some suggestions on the
> settings which can get the best pics out of Ds (jpg and/or RAW).

My usual camera settings are:

Recording menu
- Set color tone to natural
- Set storage to RAW
- Set instant review to 3 secs

Playback menu
- Set hot spot warning to Instant Review

Setup menu
- turn beep off
- turn world time off
- turn guide display off
- set auto power off to 3 min
- set file# to SerialNo

Custom setting
- turn on settings
- turn noise reduction off
- set exposure setting steps to 1/3 EV steps
- set ISO Sensitivity Warning Display to on
- set link AF Point and AE
- set using aperture ring to permitted
- set mag to start zoom playback to 4x
- set WB measurement area to Spot
- set Color Space to AdobeRGB

Fn menu
- set flash to Manual

Some notes:
- Auto Picture and any of the Scene modes will automatically switch the Image Tone back to Vivid as part of their presets. Since you're storing images in RAW format, it doesn't matter - you'll render it as you see fit after the fact. If you're saving in JPEG format, be aware of this.

- Whenever you use a manual focus lens, the focus indication is locked to the center AF point, and matrix metering is linked to that point as well. I often turn off the focus indication when I'm using MF lenses as the illuminated point gets in the way of critical focusing in the center area of the viewfinder.

- If AF focus mode is left enabled with a manual focus lens, the shutter will be blocked unless the focus confirmation indicator is illuminated. Setting MF unblocks the shutter, leaving AF set allows 'trap focus' ... Hold the shutter release down on a moving target and as soon as focus confirmation is lit the shutter will fire.

- Using a manual focus A series lens on "A", all meter modes and patterns are available. Exposure info will not include the lens focal length. PTTL works with the built in flash in all modes, Av mode locks the shutter speed to 1/180 sec.

- Using an M or K series manual focus lens, only CW Averaging and Spot patterns are available, and you are best to use Manual exposure mode: the AE-lock button will take a meter reading and set the shutter speed, which you can adjust with the thumbwheel. The aperture ring controls the aperture, and the DoF preview works. The built-in flash reverts to full power, manually set exposure with the aperture control and guide number. The aperture value will be absent both in the displays and in the picture info. Av mode is also available, but M and K series lenses will not stop down: all metering and exposures will be made at wide open aperture. All program and Tv settings will default to Av. 'A' series lenses operate the same way as M and prior when you take the aperture off the 'A' setting.
---

hope that helps.

Godfrey